Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes to refrigerate
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes + 30 minutes to refrigerate
Ingredients 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 garlic cloves
½ medium yellow onion
¼ bunch each, fresh parsley & fresh cilantro
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil, for pan-frying, about ½ cup
Romaine lettuce, shredded
Red onion, minced
Sir Kensington's Garlic Everything Sauce
- Add chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, cilantro, flour, lemon juice, baking powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to food processor. Begin by pulsing the food processor until the mixture forms a coarse crumbly texture, stopping halfway through to scrape down the sides (if necessary). Let mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, form mixture into balls, about 2 tbsp each.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, begin frying falafel balls, working in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Rotate the falafel approximately every 2 minutes, making sure to brown them evenly on all sides.
- Once the first batch of falafel are browned, transfer to a sheet pan lined with paper towels and begin frying the remaining falafel, repeating the process as many times as necessary to fry all of the falafel.
- When ready to serve, fill pita bread with lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, and 4-5 pieces of falafel.
- Top with Sir Kensington’s Garlic Everything Sauce.